Saturday May 24th
Well I was hoping to have some photos for this entry but a bit of rain and the need to be home for feeding time caused me to have to run for it! Got up to the plot about 12.10pm after getting the small person down for his nap. Lugged up 30 minicole cabbages, minus a cluster of cabbage white butterfly eggs Iīd found on the back of one of them. Canīt even leave them in a cold frame without needing defences! But theyīd hardened off nicely, so out they went. Not the greatest of positions - right under the Bramley - but the rotation said they go there, so... Got some tea and cake from the focal point, then started on the cabbages. Didnīt need to put collars round them, since the enviromesh will keep out the flies. Planting out was the easy bit - the hard part was arguing with the Enviromesh and getting it into position before nailing it down with wire hoops. But after the wild success of the mesh at protecting the red cabbages a couple of years ago, I had to extend this to the minicoles. If they donīt suffer the usual flea beetle check, it should gain me the lost weeks in planting out. In any case, I now read the EU has banned derris as thereīs not a sufficient amount of data on safety. Only been used for how many decades???? But possibly linked to Parkinsonīs, which is terrible, so I guess a fair call. Anyway, with the ultra-fine Enviromesh I shouldnīt need any derris.
When Iīd got it all into its little tunnel, went to have a chat to Chris, then to pull some rhubarb and hopefully to pull another clump of immature garlic for use as spring onions with attitude. I got as far as the rhubarb when it began to rain, and since I couldnīt easily get into the orchard area to get more, I yanked out a garlic (which is bulbing!) and ran for it, about 13.35pm so a fair bit done for just over an hour. Needed more time up there really but forecast for the rest of the weekend was torrential rain (and it was, too - about 2" of it...).
Sunday May 25th
Potted on some chillies, of which a couple are now flowering. Sowed yet more beans, given sciarids had managed to devastate all but two plants of the first sowing (including all the dwarf beans). Not enough seed for sweetcorn so shall need to get more. I really should get some predators for the sciarid flies as theyīre taking over despite the yellow stickies. Bah. But at least the chillies are doing ok - much bigger and more compact plants than the last time we tried and all because we were more careful over the potting on. We managed a grand total of ten: three UFO (which are probably Scotch Bonnets - Capsicum chinense), three Old Motherīs (Capsicum baccatum), one Jalapeņo (Capsicum annuum), one Cherry Bomb F1 (Capsicum annuum), one Thai Dragon (Capsicum annuum) and one (hugely tall) Friarīs Hat (Capsicum baccatum).