Friday September 9th
Dashed up with P in tow and picked just about everything I could see was ready. Huge bagful of runners, a trio of marrows, ten courgettes (serves me right for not going up for nearly a week) and a carrier full of apples. And a couple of cabbages. Took most of them up to Mum and Dadīs, as we were going to help celebrate their Golden Wedding (so no gardening over this weekend either).
Thursday September 15th
Got phonecall from Sir while I was at work to say that a box containing various bits of green stuff had arrived. Oh well - Iīll train him one day. They were my brassica collection from Dobies; apparently so popular that they had to get their nursery to grow a second batch (of which mine was a part). Ten each of two types of spring cabbage, ten caulis, ten white sprouting broccoli and ten purple. At long flipping last I have got some sprouting broccoli!
Dashed out of work on time despite looming mountain of work (like has kept me out of the lottie for a week or two) and weeded the cauli bed of both weeds and caulis, since the latter had all gone peculiar and not had any decent heads. Planted six each of the white and purple broccoli; what the heck. They were supposed to be in that bed in the first place...
Heeled the rest into the space at the end of the summer onion bed, and covered with fleece to stop the pigeons getting to them before I find somewhere to put them. Canīt avoid it now - have got to dig out another bed!
Saturday September 17th
FINALLY and at last got up to the allotment with loads of tools, several pieces of wood and the determination to get at least some of the next raised bed made. Managed to forget to take up the lump hammer, the ordinary hammer and the nails, so that was a bit silly. Decided to get cracking anyway, as the area was part of the carpeted bit that Iīve been merrily walking over for the best part of five years, and was likely to be solid. I was right. except I didnīt realise it was also solid clay at the middle section so digging got very hard indeed, especially as I didnīt have any easily accessible manure to stuff in. Borrowed a lump hammer off Lee, who was very handily up there, so was able to get the boards into position. Need to get the L-plates and nails up there tomorrow though, so the wood doesnīt warp.
Made quite good progress, despite having a time limit as I had to be elsewhere for the late afternoon: should be able to finish digging it over tomorrow.